Updated: Dec 29, 2018
Try this easy blend of delicious fruits and healthy vegetables as a replacement for one meal or a liquid snack to keep the sugar cravings at bay throughout the day. Plus the kiddies will love it!!
Antioxidant smoothie recipe
What you will need:
A high-powered blender or Smoothie Maker
1 Cup of blackberries
1 Cup of mango (chopped/sliced/with skin/without skin, its all up to you)
2 Plums (pitted)
1 Handful of spinach
1 Handful of kale
1 Handful of mixed herbs (basil, mint, parsley)
1 Tablespoon of moringa powder/half a cup of moringa leaves
1 Tablespoon of ground flax seeds
1 Tablespoon of chia seeds
1 passionfruit (scoop out seeds)
Juice of half a lemon
Honey or your chosen sweetener to taste
1. Wash everything in clean water (add a pinch of salt, or a little lime, lemon or vinegar) to clean off all the grit and anything else that may be on it.
2. Pour everything except the passionfruit, ice, lemon and sweetener into a blender (you can do it in bits depending on the capacity of your blender, just keep blending and once smooth add more).
3. Add the ice and blend again till smooth
4. Add the lemon juice and blend
5. Add sweetener to taste
6. Pour into cup/jar/bottle
7. Add passion fruit seeds on top (optional)
If you don’t want to add ice, you can freeze all your vegetables except the passion fruit seeds for a few hours or overnight and just blend while frozen.
Replace spinach or kale with our local greens (tete)
Use herbs you like e.g. thyme, rosemary, coriander, ginger etc.
Replace lemon with lime or leave out completely
Use what works for you. A healthy balance of antioxidant rich fruit and vegetables is all you need.
Where to shop:
Contact @earthfreshfoods on Instagram, SPAR, a local market or anywhere convenient.
Photo credit: Alison Marras