Botanical name: Cymbopogon winterianus J.
Plant part: Leaf/grass
Extraction: Steam distilled
Citronella, a close relative to Lemongrass and Citrus is one of the more popular essential oils due to use as a natural insect repellant and wide use in fragrances, personal care products, soaps etc.
Citronella essential oil is extracted through steam distillation of Cymbopogon nardus (Jowitt) and winterianus (Rendal) which results in two types of Citronella oil; Java and Ceylon
Java Citronella with its very fresh aroma and potent strength is considered the higher in quality of the two and a little goes a long way.
Citronella (Java) Essential Oil
- Anti-inflammatory properties help improve blood flow, calm and soothe inflammation, potent antioxidant and pain-relieving properties make it an effective natural remedy for discomfort or pain in the liver, stomach, intestines and other parts of the digestive system caused by inflammation. It also helps treat symptoms of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis e.g. cramps, swelling, joint and muscle pain and spasms.
- Antibacterial and antiseptic properties help kill bacteria growth and prevent sepsis which makes this oil beneficial in treating colon, intestinal, prostate, stomach, bladder, kidney and, urinary tract infections and wounds.
- Helps accelerate the expulsion of toxins from the body through sweating due to its diaphoretic properties and antimicrobial properties help fight infections which cause illness to reduce fevers and body temperature.
- Diuretic and detoxifying properties help stimulate and increase both frequency and quantity of urination to rid the body of excess water, fat, uric acid, bile and other toxic elements in the body. This helps remove excess water weight, expel infections from the urinary tract, clean and detoxify the kidney, improve digestion and is beneficial to diabetics, people with arthritis, rheumatism etc.
- Helps maintains a healthy water balance in the body, relieve fluid retention and treat spasms of the stomach or the respiratory, nervous and muscular systems and is thus beneficial for cramps due to coughs, menstruation or in the intestines, stomach, abdomen, and nerves.
- Helps stimulate immune metabolism, blood circulation, hormone and enzyme secretions, increase brain activity, strengthen the digestion and excretion systems, tone the brain and the nervous system for a healthier body due to beneficial Immunostimulant properties and its ability to act as a tonic
- A powerful natural Insecticide, its aroma repels insects and is said to be most effective on the Yellow fever causing Aedes aegypti species when used topically, in a diffuser, vaporizer etc. Helps kill intestinal worms when used topically,
- A natural antibacterial deodorant, it helps prevent body odor, deodorize, disinfect, sanitize the home and calm barking dogs.
- Helps treat abnormal palpitations, neuralgia, headaches, migraines, colitis, and nausea.