Botanical Name: Jasminum grandiflorum
Plant part: Flowers
Extraction: Solvent extraction
Known as “The King of Flowers” its name, Jasmine is derived from the Persian word “Yasmine” meaning “fragrant flower” is the most masculine of all floral aromas with a very potent, heady, sensual scent reminiscent of exotic gardens of ancient times. Other names for it are Royal, Catalonian and Spanish Jasmine.
This bush from the Oleaceae family which has over 200 species including Olive within it, has gorgeously scented white flowers grows naturally in France, Egypt, China, Algeria and Morocco.
Jasmine is one of the oldest flowers used in early Persian, Egyptian and Chinese civilizations for its fragrance and plethora of medical benefits.
These flowers are so delicate, they cannot be steam distilled as the process would destroy them and produce even less oil, so today it is extracted using petrochemical based solvents which is why it is not an essential oil in the true sense of the word but an Absolute.
Its amazing fragrance is the reason why it was named the National flower of Pakistan, regarded by the Hindus in India as a holy flower and known as one of the key ingredients in some of the most successful perfumes e.g. Chanel No. 5 and Christian Dior’s Sauvage.
Jasmine grandiflorum is also referred to as Dawn Jasmine because it is at early dawn its flowers bloom to their full glory, which contrasts to its closest relative Jasmine Sambac which blooms in the evening.
It takes 8,000 carefully hand-picked, unbruised delicate blossoms to produce 1 gram i.e. approximately 1ml of Jasmine Grandiflorum absolute, one of the reasons it is one of the more expensive plant essences available, however plant Absolutes are very strong and potent so a tiny amount goes a very long way.
Jasmine Grandiflorum Absolute
- Helps relieve pain during menstruation, assist in regulating the cycle and balances hormone levels by acting as phytoestrogens beneficial in correcting hormonal imbalances and reduce symptoms of this imbalance even when due to menopause, Pre-menstrual syndrome (P.M.S) e.g. Headaches, stomach aches, cramps, acne, mood swings etc.
- Beneficial during childbirth as it is reported to help relieve pain and anxiety during labor by stimulating the release of endorphins which work as natural pain relief and promote stronger contractions to help reduce time spent in labor. It is also used post-delivery, to ease symptoms of Post-Partum depression due to its antidepressant and uplifting properties.
- Its antispasmodic activity helps relieve stomach or intestinal cramps, spasmodic coughs, congestion, asthmas, breathlessness and spasmodic cholera.
- Jasmine Grandiflorum’s amazing aroma helps stimulate the release of some hormones in the body including serotonin to give an uplifting effect and give an energy boost which is beneficial in alleviating symptoms of depression including fatigue.
- Its sedative properties help calm the mind and improve moods to ease anxiety, relieve stress and promote relaxation and aid sleep.
- Known for its strong antiviral activity, Jasmine also has strong disinfectant, antibiotic, germicidal, antimicrobial and antifungal properties which are beneficial in boosting immunity and combatting illnesses and infections of the respiratory system e.g. coughs and colds due to the presence of Secoiridoid glycoside, a powerful ant infectious constituent found in this oil.
- Jasmine Absolute’s scent is renown for its seductive qualities which research has now shown to have aphrodisiac effects on both males and females by enhancing libido and aiding in the treatment of sexual disorders e.g. frigidity, impotence, premature ejaculation etc. By stimulating intimacy, creating a sensual, seductive mood and releasing strong sexual energy.
- Its expectorant property helps provide relief from coughs by helping to clear phlegm accumulated in the respiratory tract and helps reduce snoring by clearing congestion from nasal and respiratory tracts.
- Use in dilution to massage arthritic joints and areas of pain or discomfort due its anti-inflammatory and anti-spasmodic properties
- Attributed emmenagogue properties are said to aid issues of irregular, obstructed and painful menstruation by helping to regulate cycles, ease pain and relieve fatigue, irritation, nausea, mood swings, hot flashes and other PMS or menopause related issues. It is also said to help in delaying early on set menopause and is good for menstrual cramps and spasms