Botanical name: Vetiveria zizanoides
Plant Part: Root
Extraction: Steam distillation
Known as “The Oil of Tranquility” in Sri Lanka and its native India where it is popularly called “Khus”, Vetiver has been used in traditional medicine in West Africa, South and Southeast Asia for thousands of years as a sacred herb revered for its uplifting, soothing, healing and protective properties. Our Ruh Khus (Wild Vetiver) is rarer and slightly more complex than other Vetivers, with a light sweeter herbaceous earthiness.
The essential oil is obtained from steam distillation of the aged, thick, matted root base of Chrysopogon zizanioides aka Andropogon muricatus Retz, a perennial grass from the Poacea family and is most closely related to Sorghum but shares many morphological characteristics with other fragrant grasses e.g. Palmarosa, Citronella and Lemongrass.
Vetiver oils are considered some of the most biochemically complex of all the essential oils and contain so many aromatic compounds that only 150 of them have been identified with even more unidentified as a result its Chromatograms are usually highly coeluted no matter which analytical technique is used. Its chemical properties are a function of the soil in which it is grown and as such, each batch of this highly concentrated, fragrant oil will have subtle and unique variations of its sweet, woody, smoky, musky, slightly herbaceous, earthy aroma.
It is used in aromatherapy and meditation for its soothing, grounding properties and in perfumes as a fixative and for its scent (its a main ingredient in 36 % of all high end perfumes and 20% of all men's fragrances), in cosmetics and soaps for its abundance of therapeutic properties and as a flavoring agent in beverages. It has a very strong scent so it should be used sparingly in aroma blends and just like Sandalwood, Agarwood and Patchouli Essential Oils its odor develops and improves with aging.
Ruh Khus (Wild Vetiver) Essential Oil
- Its cooling, soothing effects help calm all sorts of inflammation, particularly in providing relief from inflammation in the circulatory and nervous systems or when it is caused by sunstroke, dehydration or from hot dry winds prevalent during harmattan due to its potent anti-inflammatory properties.
- It is beneficial in treating muscular aches, fevers, rheumatism, gout, tendonitis, sore feet, arthritis pain, joint pain, headaches etc. due to its analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Its sedative properties help the body relax beneficial not just in treating insomnia by promoting deep and revitalizing sleep, diffusing it while you sleep could help improve your breathing patterns which may be helpful for people who snore.
- it also helps reduce the hormonal and emotional changes many women experience during menstruation, making it a natural remedy for treating menstrual discomfort e.g. cramps and PMS symptoms e.g. fatigue, bloating, skin and emotional changes, breast tenderness etc.
- High in antioxidants, Vetiver helps fight free radical damage and expel toxins from the body which is beneficial in boosting the immune system and improve immunity.
- Vetiver is good for both raising testosterone levels in the mind, it also has a gentle estrogen-like effect, which gives it the ability to strengthen the female reproductive system and balance hormones. It’s well documented aphrodisiac effect is due to some of its components which stimulate the portion of the brain that controls the libido by enhancing it to increase and improve sexual desire and ease stress and anxiety making it a great natural remedy for frigidity, lack of sexual desire and psychologically induced impotence.
- It's tonic effect helps tone the digestive, circulatory. excretory, immune, endocrine and nervous systems. It also keeps the metabolic system in order to rejuvenate the body, give strength and boost immune function. Its soothing and restorative attributes also help stimulate the immune system and support the nervous system.
- With it's amazing nervine (nerve tonic) properties it helps maintain nerve health and heal the damage done to them from shock, fear, stress etc. It is also beneficial in treating nervous disorders or afflictions e.g. epilepsy, hysteria, Parkinson’s and other issues which cause a loss of control of the limbs or spasms.
- It is also a very well-known sedative beneficial in treating insomnia
- A 2001 research done by Dr. Terry Freidman found that Vetiver Oil inhalation is beneficial in treating symptoms of Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and ADD in both adults and children. Its calming and relaxing properties helped filter out other sensory input, improve brain activity, concentration, mental focus, alertness and decreasing metal fatigue, inability with following direction and organization, fidgety behavior, impatience etc. In comparison with Lavender and Cedarwood Essential oils which increased performance by 53% and 83% respectively, Vetiver Essential Oil increased performance by 100%
- Its ability to help cool the body’s temperature and prevent heat strokes is one of the reasons for its popularity in tropical countries.
- A 2015 study showed that Vetiver Essential Oil is one of the substances which can still affect ticks that carry and spread Lyme disease which is painful and difficult to treat from person to person, as it is highly toxic to ticks but non-toxic to humans. It is thus beneficial in preventing and controlling infection and spreading, it is also effective with a long-lasting activity against termites tunneling activities and in repelling other bugs e.g. mosquito larvae responsible for dengue fever, malaria, yellow fever, lice and filariasis.