Botanical name: Cistus ladanifera
Plant part: Leaves and twigs
Extraction: Steam distillation
Labdanum a.k.a "Rose of Sharon" and "Gum Rock Rose" has been utilized for centuries for its aromatic qualities in perfumery while the gum is used for several therapeutic purposes including diarrhea, colds, catarrh, rheumatism, dysentery & female menstrual problems.
It is said that in Christ’s time, incense was made with Myrrh, Frankincense & “Onycha”, later identified as gum Labdanum, with its sweet, musky and woody fragrance.
Often confused with Cistus Absolute oil as they are both derived from the same plant as the Absolute, however, is distilled differently and from different parts of the plant and considered to have far less therapeutic value.
Labdanum Essential Oil
- Analgesic (pain relief) and anti-inflammatory properties work together to dampen the cause and sensation of pain. Its ability to ease stress and anxiety also contribute to loosening the tension from muscles which tends to contribute to the pain.
- Hormone balancing properties and its ability to boost blood flow to the pelvic area help stimulate menstrual flow and regularize the cycle. Analgesic and antispasmodic properties help decrease cramping, bloating nausea and pain and its aromatherapy properties help with mood swings, mental fatigue, irritability and other symptoms of PMS. Its calming effect also relieves stress, nerves, and anxiety which can be a cause of irregular cycle.
- Labdanum’s antitussive properties help stimulate the part of the brain which initiates coughing, especially dry coughs which is caused by over sensitization of tissues in the airways. Anti-inflammatory, properties help heal inflammation in the tissues and muscles of the respiratory tract and antioxidant properties help fight infections caused by free radicals and environmental toxins.
- With both expectorant and decongestant properties, even the aroma of Labdanum helps loosen mucus in the respiratory tract to improve breathing and is thus beneficial in treating asthma which is due to constriction in the airways and other respiratory issues e.g. colds, coughs, sinus problems etc.
- As an immunostimulant and tonic, Labdanum helps strengthen the body, improve blood circulation and oxygen delivery to the brain, nervous, digestive, respiratory systems and all other organs in the body for a smooth function which improves health.
- Anti-hemorrhagic and astringent properties help constrict tissues, which aids in reducing blood loss and in the treatment of hemorrhoids
- Helpful in the treatment of lymphatic issues as it is used to drain swollen lymph nodes in the neck.