Botanical name: Anthemis nobilis
Plant part: Flowers
Extraction: Steam distillation
Native to Western and Southern Europe, Roman Chamomile a.k.a Anthemis nobilis or Chamaemelum nobile (both are acceptable in botanical nomenclature and indicate the same plant species) is similar but different to its sibling German Chamomile a.k.a Matricaria chamomilia or Matricaria recutita even though they are both generally known as Chamomile.
Their essential oils are akin in their uses, properties, therapeutic benefits and are often used interchangeably. One of the key constituents of Chamomile Eos is the powerful anti inflammatory Chamazulene which is found in both species. This is what creates the rich blue to blue green of German and the pale blueness of freshly distilled Roman Chamomile. After distillation Roman Chamomile goes through various color changes during storage, ranging from a brilliant blue to deep green when its fresh through pale blue to a dark yellow, none of which affects its potency. Their scents are also different, Roman has a light although intense, sweet, fruity apple like scent while German is stronger, very herbaceous, and reminiscent of chamomile tea.
The gentle potent efficacy of steam distilled Chamomile makes it one of the most suitable essential oils for use with children, during pregnancy and breastfeeding, however Roman Chamomile is more often recommended especially in younger children.
This low growing evergreen perennial herb with pretty daisy like flowers is often referred to as the “plant physician” as it has a healing effect on ailing plants growing close to it.
First cultivated commercially in the 16th Century, nowadays countries including Hungary, Belgium, France, Italy, USA, U.K and Argentina are some of the largest producers.
The name, Roman Chamomile was given to this herb in the 19th century when it was found sprouting out of the ground of the Colosseum in Rome. Its use according to hieroglyphic records however, go as far back as ancient Egypt where the herb was dedicated to the sun and moon. Its cooling effect made it effective for use in reducing fevers and cosmetically for skin and hair care according to hieroglyphic records. Ancient Greek physicians administered it to patients to reduce fevers and for feminine issues. It was also used by physicians throughout Europe and America as an addition to prescriptions to relieve pain, allergies, digestive issues, and inflammation naturally without side effects.
It is also used as a natural antispasmodic, antiseptic, antibiotic, antidepressant, antineuralgic, antiphlogistic, carminative, cholagogic, cicatrizant, emmenagogue, analgesic, febrifuge, hepatic, sedative, nervine, digestive, tonic, bactericidal, sudorific, stomachic, anti-inflammatory, anti-infectious, vermifuge, and a vulnerary.
Roman Chamomile is recommended as a great natural remedy for a multitude of health and skin issues including eczema, fever, heartburn, gout, anxiety and insomnia, abscesses, allergies, arthritis, boils, colic, cuts, cystitis, dermatitis, dysmenorrhea, earache, flatulence, hair, headache, inflamed skin, insect bites, nausea, neuralgia, PMS, rheumatism, sores, sprains, strains, stress, wounds etc.
Chamomile Roman Essential Oil
- Roman Chamomile is one of the few essential oils that is considered safe for both diffusion and topical use on children (MUST be properly diluted) of all ages to reduce fevers, soothe colic and tummy aches, aid sleep etc. Also known as the “kid calmer” due to its ability to help children with ADD/ADHD, during irritation, distress, temper tantrums etc.
- Its powerful anti-inflammatory, circulatory, detoxifying and stimulating effect helps remove and prevent the accumulation of excess uric acid and other toxins, stimulate circulation, and alleviate disorders in the circulatory system.
- It is thus recommended for reducing discomfort and calm swelling in the fingers, lower back, knees, joints etc due to rheumatism, arthritis, muscle aches, haemorrhoids, and sprains.
- One of its most renown properties is are its calming, sedative effect on the nerves which helps promote relaxation, relieve stress, anxiety etc. It is highly recommended when dealing with insomnia, as it helps calm a hyperactive/ stress filled mind to promote deep sleep quicker.
- It has been used historically to help relieve gastro intestinal issues by promoting proper digestion, expel worms and combat the growth of harmful bacterial and viral infections in the intestines to ease bloating, relieve nausea, vomiting, acid reflux,heartburn, indigestion, reduce flatulence by preventing the formation of and expelling excess gas, colic, diarrhoea etc. with its attributed stomachic, antispasmodic and cholagogue abilities.
- Roman Chamomile EO is very recommended for fighting off allergies and preventing allergic reactions particularly issues like hay fever and other symptoms of seasonal or food allergies due to its antimicrobial and antioxidant properties.
- It is an effective pain reliever with powerful analgesic properties and is beneficial in alleviating pain related to sciatica and neuralgia as well as headaches, tooth aches, injuries etc.
- This oil also help be used to help maintain the health of the nervous system and calm nervous irritations which can cause convulsions, spasms, nervousness and other nervous reactions that can cause more serious issues e.g. loss of limb control.
- A great decongestant to help liquefy and expel phlegm deposits in the chest and unclog stuffy noses and relieve headaches which arise from sinusitis, relieve symptoms of the cold and flu e.g. sore throats and hoarseness.
- It has a diuretic effect which helps cleanse and maintain the health of the urinary tract and kidneys by stimulating urination to expel toxins. It also has sudorific effects to further detoxify and keep the body cool by increasing perspiration which is great when treating fevers, combatting viral infections e.g. mumps or measles.
- Roman Chamomile Essential Oil with its attributed emmenagogue, antispasmodic, analgesic, antidepressant, sedative, and mood improving benefits is beneficial when dealing with a wide range of menstrual issues including pain from cramping, headaches, body aches, breast tenderness etc.
- It also helps calm the hormones to soothe irritability, anger, depression, anxiety and other symptoms of PMS and menopause.