Botanical name: Achillea millefolium
Plant part: Leaves and flowers
Extraction: Steam distillation
A fantastic oil with powerful anti-inflammatory and wound healing properties, Yarrow essential oil is obtained from the herb Achillea millefolium named after the Greek hero, Achilles; son of the Sea goddess Thetis and mortal king Peleus.
With its many properties in healing, skin and hair care as well as in aromatherapy and meditation, it is an extremely versatile oil that does everything effectively which makes Yarrow an oil that is truly essential in the home.
Yarrow Essential Oil
- Powerful anti-inflammatory properties, beneficial in reducing or eliminating almost any kind of inflammation in the respiratory tract, nasal cavity, circulatory, muscular and digestive system.
- Helps improve stomach and digestive health by promoting the optimal balance of digestive juices, neutralize excess acid, improve bile flow to restore liver health, heal wounds, soothe inflammation in the intestines and other internal organs which helps improve intestinal health.
- As a circulatory, it helps stimulate blood flow and prevents the accumulation of uric acid in the joints. This is beneficial in treating arthritis and rheumatism as it aids in soothing inflammation and reducing liquid retention in affected areas which are some of the symptoms of this ailment.
- It helps boost the expulsion of toxins, excess salt, water and fat from the body through perspiration due to its diaphoretic properties. This is beneficial in reducing water retention when trying to lose weight and cools down the body to normalize body temperature to treat a fever.
- Hemostatic and astringent properties help contract the blood vessels, muscles and tissue to reduce bleeding and hemorrhaging. These properties are beneficial in treating hemorrhoids as it helps to shrink them and reduce the pain.
- Anti-spasmodic properties help create a relaxing effect on the muscles, nerves, intestines and respiratory tracts during spasms (an extreme and involuntary cramping) in those systems. It is thus beneficial in treating seizures, convulsions, menstrual cramps, coughs, arthritis, rheumatism, abdominal pain etc.
- Helps clear phlegm and mucus accumulation in the chest, bronchial and nasal tracts due to natural expectorant properties. It is beneficial in treating respiratory issues e.g. coughs, asthma, congestion, bronchitis etc.
- Emmenagogue properties help maintain the regularity of menstrual flow, remove any obstructions which may block it and prevent early menopause. It also helps treat symptoms associated with periods e.g. headaches, fatigue, nausea, abdominal and back pain.
- Helps bring down blood pressure spikes which is beneficial in treating hypertension, and can help maintain optimal blood pressure to prevent a brain hemorrhage or heart attack when used regularly in mild doses for un prolonged periods.
- Helps boost food decomposition and absorption of nutrients, regulate the endocrine system’s secretion of hormones and enzymes, fight off infections, boost immunity and metabolism, improve liver, stomach, intestines and nervous system to optimize all other metabolic functions and tone up the body for improved health.
- Sedative properties help promote relaxation in the nerves, brain, and muscles, reduce stress and calm the mind which helps induce sleep to treat insomnia.