Botanical name: Cananga odorata
Plant part: Flowers
Extraction: Steam distillation
Ylang Ylang pronounced “ee-lang ee-lang” gets its name from repeating the Tagalog word “ilang” meaning wilderness where it grows on its own or is cultivated in the tropical rainforests of its native Indonesia, The Philippines, Java, Sumatra, Comoro, Polynesia and Madagascar.
The flower petals of the large, tropical Cananga odorata tree a.k.a Fragrant Cananga, The Perfume Tree and The Macassar Oil Plant are famous for their lovely scenting flowers and the powerfully medicinal essential oil with a sweet floral scent obtained from them via steam distillation.
A very interesting essential oil, with its 14-16 hour distillation process producing 5 variants with differences in composition and aroma of the final products being different from the norm.
Its distillation is a 14-16-hour long process during which less and less oil is extracted and produces 5 classifications of Ylang Ylang Essential oil with varying potency, scent profile, uses, benefits etc. all of which determine which variant is best suited what as well as its eventual price.
Ylang Ylang Complete Essential oil is obtained from the complete, uninterrupted distillation for 6-20 hours, that retains all the plant’s characteristic, rich, sweet, floral yet lighter scent to give a more elaborate, broad spectrum, high quality oil.
Extra with the strongest notes is collected first and preferred for use in perfumery, while still being well suited for aromatherapy as well. Up next are I, II & III with their scent, potency for therapeutic benefits and price decreasing the longer they are distilled ergo I will be strongest and III the mildest, these variants are the most easily obtainable on the market.
It has a stimulating, energizing yet calming, warming effect and its therapeutic benefits include: Anti-depressant, anti-anxiety, decongestant, hepatoprotective, anti-bacterial, neuro-protective, analgesic, anxiolytic, sedative, anti-spasmodic, antioxidant, anti-bacterial, anti-septic, disinfectant, anti-fungal, anesthetic, anti-inflammatory, anti-viral, diuretic, aphrodisiac, insecticidal and antimicrobial.
Ylang Ylang Complete Essential Oil
- Ylang Ylang Essential oil is a natural remedy for lowering blood pressure by supporting a healthy circulatory system to improve blood flow and fight inflammation.
- It also helps effectively improve cardiovascular health by preventing arrhythmia, treating hypertension and other heart issues. (Unsuitable for use by people with Low blood pressure aka Hypotension)
- Its direct action on the Olfactory system works with the cardiovascular, endocrine, hormonal system and inhaling it can create immediate, positive effects on the mood, relaxing the body to naturally reduce symptoms of depression, anxiety, sadness and stress.
- Studies have shown it to be an effective treatment in preventing and treating bacterial and microbial infections in the colon, intestines and urinary tract.
- It also helps treat chronic fatigue syndrome due to mild sedative effects which lower stress responses and calm nervous afflictions to improve sleep and combat insomnia
- A natural energizer and stimulant, it helps boost energy levels to fight lethargy and fatigue.
- Relieves menstrual cramps, stress, tension and other symptoms of PMS.
- Its aphrodisiac properties help increase both male and female libido when dealing with stress related loss of sexual interest, frigidity or impotence.
- Helps lower risk of nerve damage from complications due to diabetes by protecting the tissues and cells from damage.
- Inhale to help improve appetite or dilute in a suitable base and massage on the stomach to relieve indigestion, regulate bowel movement and other digestion related issues.
- Helps improve immune function and lower inflammation due to its potent antibacterial, antifungal and cytotoxic properties and is thus very effective in relieving pain and other symptoms of arthritis, rheumatism, muscle spasms and pelvic inflammatory disease when massaged on localized area in a topical dilution.
- Its aroma helps stimulate, strengthen and repair damage of the nervous system and reduces stress on the nerves to prevent nervous disorders and alleviate palpitations and other forms of excitation. It also helps strengthen the brain and improve brain functionality.