Botanical name: Commiphora myrrha
Plant part: Resin
Extraction: Steam distillation
The word myrrh comes from the Aramaic word “murr” or Arabic "mur" meaning bitter;
has been used for thousands of years in traditional healing therapies, religious ceremonies, It has also been used in aromatherapy for its meditative quality or for prayer, usually in combination with frankincense. and is still commonly used today as a remedy for a variety of ailments.
Known as one of the gifts (along with gold and frankincense) the three Wise Men brought to Jesus in the New Testament, Myrrh was mentioned in the bible 152 times.
Myrrh Essential Oil
- Helps maintain uterine health, regularize hormonal imbalances that cause irregular menstruation, mood swings, irritability and other effects of PMS. Strong analgesic and antispasmodic properties help relieve the pain of cramping and spasms which sometimes accompany periods and is beneficial in treating both dysmenorrhea and amenorrhea.
- Anti-inflammatory, anti-spasmodic and analgesic properties help relieve inflammation and spasms of the muscles, joints and respiratory tract which is beneficial in easing the swelling, pain, tightness, muscle and joint aches as well as other symptoms of arthritis, rheumatism, and osteoarthritis.
- Helps stimulate secretion of bile and other digestive juices in the stomach, brain activity and the nervous system. It also helps regulate metabolic rate and boosts immunity.
- Anti-catarrhal properties help fight viral infections to reduce and possibly eliminate, relieve congestion, inhibit phlegm deposition in the lungs and respiratory tracts. This helps provide relief from coughs, congestion, colds, bronchitis, breathing issues, and sore throats.
- Helps stimulate blood circulation and maintain proper oxygen supply to the tissues to boost the immune system and an optimal metabolic rate. It also helps protect the body against oxidative stress and immunotoxicity, which all work together to help the body stay healthy.
- Helps inhibit microbial growth which helps prevent treat fevers, mumps, measles, pox and other infections.
- It helps stimulate perspiration which helps expel toxins, excess salt, water and other toxins from the body and prevent
- Its astringent properties make it beneficial in strengthening muscles, intestines and other internal muscles and promote digestive health to ease stomach issues, indigestion, flatulence and other internal issues. This and its circulatory properties are beneficial in treating hemorrhoids and hemorrhaging