Botanical name: Nyctanthes arbor-tristis
Plant part: Leaves
Extraction: Steam distillation
Coral Jasmine aka Night flowering Jasmine or Lover's Tree is a shrub or small tree in the species Nyctanthes native to areas stretching from Northern Pakistan, Nepal, Northern India to Southeast Thailand known locally as Parijat or Harshiangar.
Although it is from the same plant family Oleaceae as true Jasmine officinale and it’s highly sought after cultivars; Jasmine grandiflorum (Jasminus officinalis var grandiflora) and Jasmine sambac (Jasminus officinalis var sambac) which produce Absolutes and not Essential Oils, they are totally different species so it is therefore techincally not a true Jasmine.
However its aroma is very Jasmine like, though a bit stronger and sweeter than the delicate glory of the uber expensive and rare true Jasmine.
Coral Jasmine Essential Oil is extracted from the steam distilled flowers of Nyctanthes arbor-tristis. The name 'Nyctanthus' is derived from two Greek words 'Nykhta' (Night) and 'anthos' (flower), which in full translates as “sad tree”. It is also called ‘Tree of sorrow’ because its flowers appear dull during the day but become bright at night which is when they are hand pIcked since this tree sheds its flowers at night.
Every part of the tree from the leaves, bark and flowers to the seed and stem have been used in various traditional and alternative healing practices for many Millenia due to the abundance of medicinal benefits attributed to them.
The leaves are curative and have been used in Ayurvedic Medicine to treat arthritis, sciatica, fever, pain, constipation, anxiety, rheumatism, to combat free radicals, infection and bacterial infections amongst other ailments.
The therapeutic properties of this Essential Oil include antioxidant, anti-arthritic, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, anti-leishmanial, anti-pyretic, immunostimulant, antinociceptive, anti-allergy, anti-plasmodial, hepatoprotective and sedative
Coral Jasmine Essential Oil
- Its powerful anti-arthritic, anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties are very beneficial in treating and relieving pain from rheumatism, sore muscles, joint, knee, back or menstrual pain, headaches, sciatica, stress, muscular tension and it has a substantial activity against inflammatory oedema.
- Recent scientific research has attributed potent immunomodulating properties, with both humoral and cell mediated responses to Coral Jasmine Essential Oil. This property helps normalize or regularize the immune system to bring the ratio of the various immune cells in the body into balance enabling them to function properly, which is particularly beneficial when dealing with auto immune disorders.
- It is an efficient natural insecticide when diffused or diluted in a carrier oil and applied topically to repel mosquitoes and other insects.
- Used in Ayurveda as a natural remedy for the treatment of malaria and is effective against even the Plasmodium falciparum strain and can help kill malaria parasites.
- Known to be highly effective in relieving pain, irritation and inflammation from arthritis, especially gouty arthritis which is caused by accumulated deposits of urate crystals in the synovial cavity. It helps clear the excess fluids which cause the swelling in these and other inflammation related issues.
- The aroma of Coral Jasmine Essential Oil calms the mind with effective sedative properties beneficial in combatting insomnia to induce and promote deep, restful sleep. It also helps soothe the nerves and is used to treat anxiety, restlessness and vertigo.
- It also has powerful anti-histamine properties beneficial in alleviating allergic reactions resulting from excess histamine in the body.
- Beneficial in treating bilious fever accompanied by nausea, strong diarrhea and high temperature due to bile disorders.
- Blend a few drops in a carrier oil and massage gently into the soles of the feet to help reduce body temperature during high fever and to halt the growth of fever causing infectious organisms.
- It also helps stimulate the immune system to make the body resistant to diseases and prevent illnesses that affect the liver.
- Traditionally used to promote menstruation, treat pain and other symptoms of dysmenorrhea or blocked, obstructed menses.
- Its expectorant properties help clear congestion and treat dry coughs, asthma, dyspepsia, bronchitis and many other respiratory issues.
- A natural diuretic and febrifuge, it helps boost the expulsion of toxins in the body by promoting urination and sweating which also helps lower body temperature.
- It aids digestion and helps treat issues relating to it e.g. constipation, dyspepsia i.e. difficulty with digestion associated with pain, flatulence, heartburn and nausea
- It is also an effective natural remedy in combatting harmful viruses and other micro-organisms. A 2012 study by the University of Alabama, Huntsville and Tribhuvan University, Nepal screened its effectiveness against Gram positive bacteria e.g. Staphylococcus aureus and Gram negative bacteria e.g. Escherichia coli, Aspergillus niger and Pseudomonas aeruginosa, proving Coral Jasmine essential oil as an established traditional remedy with potent antimicrobial activity