Botanical name: Salvia sclarea
Plant part: Flowering tops/Buds
Extraction: Steam distillation
Also known as Muscatel sage, Clary wort, Clear eye and Clary, Clary Sage is a perennial herb native to the Northern Mediterranean Basin, some parts of North Africa and Central Asia. The word Clary originates from the Latin word “clarus” meaning Clear, which gave it one of its nicknames, “Clear Eye” during the middle ages because people would soak the plant in water to relieve eye issues.
Although Clary and common sage may be similar in some regards, they are however very different in their properties and uses.
In recent years, its therapeutic benefits for women have made it extremely popular due to its ability to help balance hormones being one of its numerous other benefits for natural healing, skin and hair care which have kept it at the forefront in aromatherapy and natural healing throughout many millennia.
Clary Sage Essential Oil
- With its natural emmenagogue benefits, it aids in regulating the menstrual cycle, ease the flow of obstructed menses, soothe cramps and balance hormones to relieve mood swings and irritability. It also helps relieve food cravings, bloating and other symptoms of PMS.
- Its aroma is said to influence dopamine activity by stimulating feelings of sheer joy, confidence and high spirits to ease depression, nervousness, reduce tension, chronic stress, anxiety, insomnia etc. This is one of the reasons Clary is so popular in aromatherapy and is often one of main ingredients used when administering vapor therapy.
- It is also used as an effective natural aid for women during and post menopause by helping to relieve negative mental states, dizziness and physical issues like bleeding and pain from uterine tumours etc.
- When inhaled, Clary Sage EO’s vapours work to help open blocked sinuses and the airways to ease congestion, relax the bronchial tubes of asthmatics and is beneficial in relieving respiratory tract infections like pneumonia and bronchitis.
- Studies show that Clary Sage EO has both antibacterial and antifungal effect beneficial to curb the growth and attack bacteria cells that spread bacterial infections which affect the colon, intestines, urinary tract and excretory system.
- It also helps to relax nerve impulses which makes it beneficial in soothing spasms and issues related with them e.g. spasmodic cholera, headaches, stomach cramps, spasmodic coughs and cramps.
- Its attributed hypotensive and nerve relaxing effect is believed to help widen blood vessels to allow proper circulation and increase delivery of oxygen throughout the body to help lower blood pressure and reduce the risk of hypertension and other heart related issues.