Botanical name: Origanum vulgare
Plant part: Leaves and flowers
Extraction: Steam distillation
Native to the Mediterranean, and found in higher altitudes e.g, mountains Oregano means “delight of the mountains”.
Its amazing healing properties were first discovered in Greece where it was used topically as an antibacterial for wounds and the skin. There are over 40 different species of Oregano available and not all of them have the therapeutic benefits to which the use of this oil is attributed, research shows that the species best to use is Origanum vulgare as it is a natural antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, antioxidant, digestive, anti-allergenic, anti-parasitic, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and sedative
Oregano Essential Oil
- Beneficial immune boosting, blood purifying and anti-allergen properties
- As a natural emenagogue, it helps stimulate menstrual flow which is beneficial when dealing with irregular periods.
- It can help delay the onset of menopause and alleviate menopausal symptoms such as hormonal and mood imbalances.
- Beneficial in improving heart health, reducing the risk of heart disease and protection against LDL cholesterol
- A safe, natural remedy to treat and control skin, fungal and parasitic infections in pets such as dogs and cats.
- Its main constituents Carvacrol and Thymol have been documented to be highly effective in repelling mosquitoes and other insects.
- Helps relieve pain from ear infections due to natural anti-inflammatory properties and is one of the most effective essential oils for this.
- Beneficial in treating respiratory issues due to expectorant properties which help thin mucus, essential to relieve bronchitis symptoms and coughs. Particularly effective in providing relief from croup.
- Anti-inflammatory and powerful pain relieving properties beneficial to treating arthritis, rheumatism, earaches, gum infections etc.
- Helps promote digestion and aids associated issues e.g. Intestinal worms, bloating, Urinary Tract Infections, indigestion etc.