Botanical name: Pelargonium graveolens Roseum
Plant part: Leaves and other aerial parts
Extraction: Steam distillation
Rose Geranium is believed to have been introduced to Europe in the early 17th Century by sailors and traders from its recorded origin of South Africa, Egypt, Morocco, and Reunion. There are about 700 different varieties of the plant, yet only 10 supply an essential oil in viable quantities,
Both the herb and its essential oil have been used since ancient times mostly for its skin healing properties, with a reputation as a strong healer for cuts, wounds, infections, burns etc.
Rose Geranium Essential Oil
- Its aroma has a balancing and harmonizing effect on the autonomic nervous system through the stimulation of the adrenal cortex, which is vital in ensuring the normal function of the body, mind and emotions. This effects hormone production and ensures optimal responses in the equivalent body systems to correct imbalances that can cause elevated stress levels, nervousness, depression, headaches, irregular heartbeat etc.
- It is also reputed to be very effective in the treatment of vegetative dystonia, an imbalance of the autonomic nervous system.
- Astringent effect helps draw out excess fluid to contract and tighten the muscles, tissues, blood vessels and intestines. Reputed to tighten up the abdominal muscles, beneficial to people with recent weight loss to give a more toned appearance.
- Supports the health and regeneration of new cells and recycles dead ones by promoting metabolic efficiency due to its property as a cytophlactic. This helps maintain health, improve body and reproductive cells(gametes) growth.
- Helps eliminate free radical scavengers to prevent damage, expel excess uric acid, bile, fats, heavy metals, sugar, pollutants, chemicals, pathogens and other toxins from the body by increasing urination frequency and discharge due to its strong diuretic, antioxidant and detoxification properties.
- Aids in the digestive process, expels gas build up in the intestines, helps lower blood pressure by eliminating excess sodium, prevents kidney and urinary stones, in treating jaundice and prevention of gout which is caused by uric acid crystal deposition in the joints.
- Helps activate microglial cells to trigger the release of compounds like Nitric Acid which fight inflammation in the neural pathways that can damage brain tissue and cause degeneration. Helps improve mental and cognitive function to prevent memory loss and cognitive decline beneficial in the prevention and treatment of Alzheimer’s, dementia, neural disorders and other neurodegenerative diseases.
- Helps prevent and treat infections in the nose, throat and other respiratory organs due to antibiotic effects.
- Helps significantly alleviate pain, particularly when caused by nerve damage in peripheral neuropathy due to diabetes, nerve compression or autoimmune issues e.g. lupus and multiple sclerosis and shingles from herpes or neuralgia.
- A natural anti-inflammatory, it helps treat multiple ailments caused by inflammation e.g. ear edema, in lowering cholesterol to aid heart health and the treatment of arthritis, rheumatism etc.
- Antimicrobial effects help boost immunity by strengthening the body’s defensive cells to combat both internal and external toxins, inhibit fungal e.g. candida species growth, protect from pathogens and infectious diseases, beneficial in treating athlete’s foot (a common foot disorder characterized by scaling or blistering in the soles of the foot, which can spread to other parts of the body if left untreated) and jock itch (a mildly contagious fungal infection characterized by an itchy rash in the groin area).
- Helps contract the arteries and veins to slow down excess and maintain normal blood flow, aid blood clot formulation to increase coagulation due to both styptic and hemostatic properties which prevent hemorrhaging, treats, promotes healing and prevents infections in hemorrhoids, nosebleeds, cuts, wounds etc.
- Helps tone up the system by influencing the endocrine gland to regulate secretion and maintain the proper levels of hormones, enzymes, acids and bile in the body to improve function in the respiratory, digestive, circulatory, nervous and excretory systems. It also helps improve digestion and nutrient absorption to improve overall health and wellbeing due to its ability to act as a tonic.
Helps boost circulation due to regenerative and hemostatic properties beneficial to aiding liver and spleen function, regulate the lymphatic system, expel toxins, treat PMS, heavy, blocked or obstructed menses, balance vaginal secretions, calm mood swings in menopausal women and is said to help ease labor pains.