Botanical name: Hyssopus officinalis
Plant part: Leaves and flowers
Extraction: Steam distillation
From the Hebrew word "ezob" which means "Holy herb" Hyssopus was well known in ancient times and even used by Hippocrates who is known as the father of modern-day medicine.
Modern science is also beginning to uncover the roots of this ancient healer with its benefis being attributed to its powerful astringent, stimulant, emmenagogue, antirheumatic, antispasmodic properties.
Mentioned twelve times in the Bible, it is known as an herb revered for its cleansing effect and was used historically to treat leprosy and chest ailments, purifying sacred spaces and cleansing during plagues and times of widespread illness.
Hyssop Essential Oil
- Beneficial anti-arthritic, analgesic, and powerful sedative properties.
- Beneficial anti-hemorrhagic properties help contract muscles, limbs, abdomen, intestines, tissues and blood vessels.
- Helps improve blood flow and promotes even circulation in the body which is beneficial in treating arthritis, gout, rheumatism, swelling, and hemorrhoids.
- Helpful in alleviating muscular pain.
- Helpful in treating genito-urinary conditions.
- Helps treat P.M.S, menopause symptoms, regularize irregular periods, remove obstruction and other issues related with menstruation e.g. nausea, pain, headaches, loss of appetite, mood swings, pain etc.
- It is also effective in treating more severe menstrual conditions e.g.amenorrhea, dysmenorrhea, and leucorrhoea.
- Antispasmodic properties help reduce contractions and relieve spasms in the nervous system which cause convulsions, spasmodic coughs or cholera as well as spasms of the muscles, abdomen, intestines and respiratory system.
- Helps expel gas and prevents its formation in the intestines, to ease discomfort from stomach aches, nausea, indigestion, vomiting etc.
- As a tonic, it helps maintain the nervous system and treat nerve disorders which is beneficial in treating vertigo, nervousness, and convulsions.
- Helps treat respiratory issues loosen phlegm and mucus, heal infections and congestion of the lungs and respiratory tracts caused by colds, bronchitis, asthma, catarrh etc. and eases spasmodic coughing bouts to improve and ease breathing.
- It also helps stimulate the nervous, circulatory, digestive, endocrine, neural, and excretory systems.
- Boosts metabolism and optimize nutrient consumption and absorption which helps stimulate the immune system.