Botanical name: Citrus bergamia
Plant part: Rind/Peel
Extraction: Cold Pressed
From the Bergamot tree native to Europe and South Asia, this essential oil is obtained by cold compression of the rind of this fruit which looks like a hybrid between a lemon and an orange.
Historically, Bergamot Essential Oil was majorly used in aromatherapy for its calming effects on the nervous system but has in recent years shown to be very beneficial in the areas of skin, hair care, and holistic healing.
Bergamot Essential Oil
- Helps boost the secretion of hormones with opiate-like effects which help lessen nerve sensitivity to pain, beneficial in treating migraines, headaches etc.
- With its antispasmodic properties help relieve swelling, tightness and its ability to calm the nerves, Bergamot EO is very beneficial in treating cramps, convulsions, colic, muscle contractions, menstrual pain, rheumatism, arthritis, joint or muscle aches etc.
- Diaphoretic properties help boost metabolic rate and gland secretion which helps increase expulsion of excess salt, bile, urea, fat and other toxins through sweating.
- Antiseptic properties help combat fever-causing virus and bacteria while antipyretic properties help reduce fevers and stabilize body temperature, all beneficial to treating flu, fever etc.
- Helps dilate the blood vessels and reduce cholesterol levels to lower blood pressure
- Helps prevent the spreading of bacteria responsible for urinary tract infections from the urethra to the bladder and reduce the effect of the Candida fungus due to antibacterial and antifungal properties aid treatment and prevention of urinary tract infections.
- Its aroma promotes the stimulation of hormones like dopamine and serotonin which help induce calmness and relaxation to ease nerves, calm nervous exhaustion, promote rest and sleep quality. This is beneficial in treating insomnia, anxiety, stress, mental fatigue, lack of interest, mood swings, loss of appetite, depression etc.
- Helps improve digestion by regulating peristalsis in the intestines, boosting metabolic rate, aid proper absorption of nutrients, and promote digestive health. It also helps eliminate intestinal worms, improve the regularity of bowel movements, treat constipation and indigestion, prevents the formation of gallstones, and prevent gastrointestinal issues which can lead to malnourishment especially in developing children,
- Helps regulate the endocrine glands responsible for the production of reproductive hormones and insulin, maintain blood sugar levels and its absorption and decomposition.
- Beneficial to women during menstruation and menopause as it helps balance the hormones which cause mood swings, mental fatigue, irritability etc.
- Also aids diabetics due to its ability to help normalize and maintain blood sugar levels.
- Antimicrobial, disinfectant, antibiotic and antiviral properties help effectively fight viral and bacterial infections which helps while treating diseases caused by bacteria, virus or fungi. As a potent vermifuge, it also helps kill intestinal worms and parasites.
- As a general tonic, it helps tone up the respiratory, digestive, circulatory, excretory and nervous systems to promote optimal health.
- Expectorant and anti-congestive properties help loosen phlegm and mucus in the respiratory and nasal tracts, expel it through coughs or sneezing, prevent the build-up of new formations and relax the nerves which help ease breathing. This beneficial in treating respiratory issues like asthma, bronchitis, coughs, colds, catarrh etc.